Using international evidence, this literature review shows how austerity leads to rising unemployment, falling incomes and increased inequality. The most marginalised groups in society, including women, children, minorities, migrants and the poor, feel the biggest impacts. This paper cautions against South Africa’s deepening of its implementation of austerity policies and proposing an alternative fiscal stimulus route.
- Bold Action Required in South Africa in the face of COVID-19 Economic Fallout
- Coalition calls on Cabinet to reconsider relief grants allocation
- COVID-19 – An emergency rescue package summary
- COVID-19 – An emergency rescue package for South Africa
- Fiscal policy in South Africa: closed input-output income and employment multipliers